Schools opened today!
Our children will pour into the streets with the school bag on their backs and with a surplus of energy from the summer!
But before we send our children to school, we need to keep in mind that, according to the World Health Organization, children are the most vulnerable road users, as road accidents are the second leading cause of death worldwide. ages 2 - 5 years(Learn about safe school trips).
That is why it is necessary to teach our children from a very early age how to behave on the street, keeping in mind that we teach them not only with our words, but mainly with our example.
These are the basic rules of traffic education that we need to teach our children
A. Traffic rules for children
When we walk on the street:
- We always walk on the sidewalk.
If there is no sidewalk, we walk on the side of the road and on the contrary in the direction of the vehicles so that we can see them and they can see us better.
- When we want to go across, we always choose the place where there is a traffic light or pedestrian crossing.
- We stand before the yellow line of the sidewalk and, if it does not exist, one step before the edge of the sidewalk.
- At the traffic light: We pass with green for pedestrians, we stop with red.
- If there is no traffic light, we check very carefully: we look left, right and left again to make sure that no vehicle is passing.
- We cross the road vertically and not diagonally.
Passing vertically we reach the opposite sidewalk faster and so we reduce the time we are exposed to the road.
- We cross the road carefully. We do not run or delay.
- We don't play on the street.
There is a risk that we will be hit by a vehicle passing by at that moment.
- We wear light-colored clothes or clothes with reflective - phosphorescent strips to be visible to drivers especially after sunset (Find out now why pedestrians are the most "easy victim" at night on Greek roads).
- We respect the instructions of the traffic warden.
- We choose the safest and not the shortest route to school.
B. Traffic rules for children
When we ride a bike:
- We choose the right bike size for our age.
- We make sure our bike is in good condition, that is, the lights, the brakes, the bell work and the tires are good.
- We make sure our bike has headlights, taillights and reflectors on the beams and pedals so that we are visible at night. (Find out now why night driving is considered the 51st shade of gray).
- We wear a special protective helmet.
- We wear light colored clothes and a safety vest with reflective - phosphorescent elements.
- We drive to the right side of the road and hold the steering wheel with both hands.
- We do not carry things or other people (eg our friends).
- We drive carefully, at low speed and apply the Road Traffic Code - K.O.K., for example we stop at the traffic light and at the Stop signal ( Find out the correct safety distance between two numbered vehicles).
- We do not do "Fights" with our classmates.
- We do not ride our bike on busy roads, because we are at risk from drivers who may be careless.
- When for any reason we encounter a problem while riding the bike (eg fatigue or difficult traffic conditions), we get off it and continue carefully as pedestrians.
C. Traffic rules for children
When we are in the car:
- We always sit in the back seats in the special seat.
- We never sit in the passenger seat or in the arms of another person, even if it is our parent.
- We always wear the seat belt.
- We do not stand in the car and do not take our hands or head out of the window.
- We are quiet and do not shout, because we can scare or irritate the driver and make a wrong decision.
- We get in and out of the car on the side of the sidewalk.
We must not forget that the most important rule is to respect other road users.
If you parents follow these simple rules of the road in your daily life, be sure that your children will adopt them as well. Your own responsible behavior is the best lesson!
Happy school year !!!